Friday, November 14, 2008

So I'm the youngest...



So, I'm the youngest of 7 kids in my family which, one would think, should get me out of ever having to host any holiday meal because there are plenty of other, older, more established siblings who don't have 4 little kids who would love to have Thanksgiving, Christmas, whatever, at their house, right? Well, I'm not really sure how it happened BUT, Thanksgiving is at my house this year, which means I'm in charge of the turkey. I keep asking people about it, and everyone has opinions about whether to brine or not, whether to get a frozen turkey or a fresh organic one, etc. But no one can answer my most pressing question-- HOW does that bag get up the turkey with all of the turkey "parts". Who puts it there, and why would anyone want to keep a turkey neck? Most importantly, where can I go to get a turkey without that bag in it, because I am NOT pulling that thing out. Any ideas?

7 comments:

Heather said...

Jen - You got hosed this year on the whole turkey deal!
GOOD LUCK!!!

Gayle and Curt Family Blog said...

Jen by the time you get to be your age there is no longer a free pass. buck up girl, or move to Utah by us. Now as for the brine...go for it. I like it better that way. it is better that way. Back in the old days people used the neck and the other parts for giblet gravey. Some day we might be back to using every bit of the turkey. Best of luck. And don't worry, I did it when I was your age too. I have faith in you. Gayle

grammie said...

Hey Jen, just so you know, the neck, etc. in the bag are in the turkeys stomach, not in the other end, so it isn't gross. Look in the newspaper in the next day or two for how to brine. Kathy does it in an ice chest overnight.

Jodi said...

Can't you just get one delivered? or go for a tofurkey!

OhShauna said...

Jen- Go Brine all the way. I have a GREAT brine recipe on the Pass the Recipe blog - just type in brine in the search. And if you need an ice chest (that it what I use) I can lend you one of mine).

Kristin said...

ok I could go on and on about all the gross things about cooking a turkey, what worked for me was "Luke you have to do this prep unless you want me to vomit all over your family's turkey." Delegate my dear, at the very least the removing of the innards

Kimpossible said...

So, this year was my first time to ever cook a turkey and since I'm posting this on someone else's blog (instead of my own) let me admit that I accidentally cooked the turkey with one of the bags still in there. Oops? I thought I got them all out.

I do not get why we need bags of intestines in turkeys. Maybe I'll figure it out by next year.

P.S. you have such a cute family. I hope you don't mind me looking at your blog.